Update: 18 dead, dozens injured in three bomb blasts in Borno

At least 18 killed, dozens were said to have been injured by two female suicide bombers in Borno State on Saturday.

Giving an update of the female bombers’ attacks, they said the female suicide bombers targetted a wedding, a funeral and a hospital in the state.

The three blasts took place on Saturday in the town of Gwoza, close to the border of Cameroon, Borno State police spokesman Nahum Kenneth Daso said on Sunday.

In one of the attacks, which took place at about 3:45pm (14:45 GMT), a woman carrying a baby on her back “detonated an improvised explosive device (IED) she had on her at a crowded motor park”, Daso said.

The suicide bombers reportedly also targeted a hospital in the same town. Another attack was later carried out at the funeral for victims of the wedding blast, authorities said.

“So far, 18 deaths comprising children, men, females and pregnant women” have been reported, agency head Barkindo Saidu said in a report.

Nineteen “seriously injured” people were taken to the regional capital, Maiduguri, while 23 others were awaiting evacuation.

A member of a militia assisting the military in Gwoza said two of their colleagues and a soldier were also killed in a separate attack on a security post. However, authorities did not immediately confirm the deaths.

No group has claimed responsibility for the attacks yet.

About The Author