
Ten Hag
Manchester United finally sack Erik ten Hag, Ruud van Nistelrooy stands in as interim coach
Manchester United authorities have finally sacked manager Erik ten Hag in the wake of their dismal start to the season.
Ruud van Nistelrooy will take charge of the team as interim head coach while a permanent head coach is recruited.
The decision to sack Ten Hag – who was only given a contract extension this summer – has been described as “difficult and finely balanced” by Manchester United’s hierarchy, SkySports reports.
However, it is understood that the decision by the club’s board, made less than 24 hours after their controversial 2-1 defeat at West Ham on Sunday, was unanimous.
Crucially, it was felt that the club’s on-field results have not been good enough.
In contrast to the comments from Ten Hag, the hierarchy did not see the team on the right path and felt there are no excuses for the position United are in. They have won just four of their 14 games this season.
“No-one watches United and doesn’t think the players are better than what they are showing,” said Gary Neville. “The lack of identity and style is something that has been a mystery for the last two-and-a-half seasons.”
Sky Sports News understands a shortlist of around five managers has been identified, with Van Nistelrooy seen as a short-term solution until a permanent manager is found.
This is a limited version of the story so unfortunately this content is not available.
Open the full version
“We are grateful to Erik for everything he has done during his time with us and wish him well for the future,” United said in a short statement.
What went wrong for Ten Hag at Man Utd?
Ten Hag leaves United 14th in the Premier League as his two-and-a-half-year spell comes to an end.
The 54-year-old former Ajax boss had been backed by new co-owners INEOS in the summer with a contract extension until June 2026.
This is a limited version of the story so unfortunately this content is not available.
Open the full version
That came despite the group initially speaking to a number of other candidates to replace him on the back of an eighth-placed finish in the Premier League, their worst top-flight position since 1990.
He did however, guide Man Utd to a surprise FA Cup final win over rivals Man City before the season’s conclusion.
The club sanctioned around £200m of spending in the summer transfer window, but United’s underwhelming start to the new campaign has now seen the manager pay the price for their patchy form.
Gary Neville reacts to the news that Manchester United have sacked manager Erik ten Hag
Sky Sports’ Gary Neville:
“The lack of identity and style is something that has been a mystery for the last two-and-a-half seasons.
“The recruitment has been awful at times but I believe there are a group of players who can play better than they are.
“Lack of style has been the biggest problem. It is a real struggle watching them play and it hasn’t changed in the last 18 months. That has been as bad as the results.
“No-one watches United and doesn’t think the players are better than what they are showing.
“I thought it was coming. Looking at that Tottenham game a few weeks ago I felt I had seen this before. It was a bad day for Manchester United and a bad day for Erik ten Hag.
“It’s got worse from then, yesterday [against West Ham] the missed chances were unacceptable, they should have been two or three up at half-time.
“Overall, the challenges of the results and performances have meant that the owners have decided to sack him. I don’t think anybody will be truly shocked.”
‘No excuses – other owners would have sacked sooner’
Kaveh Solhekol explains how the Manchester United hierarchy reached a unanimous decision to sack Erik ten Hag
Sky Sports’ Kaveh Solhekol:
“I don’t think Erik ten Hag can have any excuses. He was managing the biggest club in the world and somehow he kept his job after a 7-0 loss to Liverpool (in March 2023). I find that staggering.
“He’s a good man and good to deal with but he can’t have any excuses. A lot of other owners would have cut their losses and sacked him a lot earlier.”
Man Utd’s underperformance in numbers
Man Utd have won just four of their 14 games this season.
This is Manchester United’s second-lowest points tally after nine games of a Premier League season (11), with 2019-20 (10) being the only campaign in which they’ve had fewer points at this stage.
Only Crystal Palace and Southampton (six) have scored fewer Premier League goals than United (eight).
Man Utd have the biggest difference between Expected Goals and goals scored in the competition – they should have scored six or seven more than they have.
‘Shortlist of five managers identified to replace Ten Hag’
Sky Sports’ Melissa Reddy:
Manchester United had been working through contingency plans in recent weeks to prime for Erik ten Tag’s sacking if results and performances did not improve.
Sky Sports News understands a shortlist of around five managers has been analysed, but having Ruud van Nistelrooy in interim charge will offer the leadership team the time and space to follow a thorough process in appointing the next manager.
United had wanted to give Ten Hag at least a full season under the new INEOS-powered set-up, but ultimately did not feel he could steer the campaign in the right direction.
There was shock inside Carrington and Old Trafford that the decision finally came off the back of a game United should have won, with West Ham converting a controversial late penalty on Sunday.
However, it is understood the fact that the team were so dominant at London Stadium yet still suffered defeat was the final piece of convincing the club’s hierarchy that they had to part ways.
Ten Hag was informed late on Monday morning that he would no longer be in post.