
Another set of two female suicide bombers arrested in Borno
Less than 24 hours after two female bombers attacked a wedding party and the mourning event after in Borno State, two female suicide bombers have been arrested in the state.
The female suicide bombers were arrested on Sunday in Gwozo in connection with the detonation of improvised explosive devices (IEDs).
Ealier, two female bombers had killed 18 people and injured several others during the first three attacks.
Sources indicated that scores of female suicide bombers were sent into Gwoza to detonate the Improvised Explosives Devices (IEDs) at different locations, with only four suicide bombers exploded so far.
One of the arrested female bombers that came from Pulka Axis was said to be interogated by the military at the checkpoint when she panicked and detonated the IED killing herself, the soldier and a civilian JTF member.
The female bombers were said to have got into Gwoza from different locations, some from Pulka and others from the Mandara mountains.
The Director-General of SEMA, Barkindo Saidu, who witnessed the first blast, stated in his situation report, “In my presence, at about 3 pm, the first bomb blast in Gwoza occurred, detonated by a female suicide bomber in the midst of the marriage ceremony celebration.
“It affected more than 30 persons with various levels of injuries and instant death. Some minutes later, another blast occurred around General Hospital.”
The wedding was held at Tashan Mararaba near the Fire Service in Gwoza town.
A survivor said the first bomber was carrying a baby on her back when she stormed the venue and detonated the IED.
As people gathered to bury those killed at the wedding, Saidu said a third bomber, a lady, detonated another IED with a lot of casualties.
While emergency officials were in the hospital coordinating the rescue mission, a fourth blast was set off by a female teenager.
“So far, 18 deaths comprise children, adult males, females, and pregnant women. 19 seriously injured were conveyed to Maiduguri in four ambulances,” Saidu said.
At the time he released the situation report, he said 23 were waiting for military escort “in the Medical Regimental Services (MRS) Clinic”.
The evacuation of the injured continued into the night with the SEMA DG, who was in Gwoza when the attacks occurred, coordinating the process from there.
He also said he had received a report of a suspected suicide bomber in Pulka but did not provide further details about that.
The military has imposed a curfew in Gwoza LGA in the wake of the attacks.