You are here
Home > NEWS > Six Nigerian soldiers die in Boko Haram attacks

Six Nigerian soldiers die in Boko Haram attacks

Jihadists killed six soldiers and a civilian militia leader as they hit three towns in Nigeria’s conflict-torn northeastern state of Borno State, security sources and residents told AFP on Friday.

Several troops and militiamen are also missing, they said.

Suspected fighters from Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP), affiliated to the so-called Islamic State group, attacked the town of Gubio around 1630 GMT on Thursday, unleashing a battle with security forces.

“The bodies of six soldiers and the (local) head of the Civilian Joint Task Force (CJTF) were recovered outside the town with bullet wounds,” a security source said.

The jihadists stormed into Gubio aboard a dozen pickup trucks mounted with machine guns, according to resident Idrissa Kaka, who confirmed the death toll.

They also made off with three military vehicles and a van belonging to the CJTF.

“The whereabouts of the remaining soldiers is unknown. Our fear is that they were captured along with the vehicles,” he said.

The jihadists then attacked the towns of Gajiganna and Gajiram, where they torched buildings and sent soldiers fleeing, residents said.

Gubio, which lies 80 kilometres (50 miles) north of Borno state capital Maiduguri, has been repeatedly targeted by the jihadists.

Last month six people including three soldiers were killed when ISWAP attacked military base in the town.

Since July last year ISWAP has intensified attacks on military targets, raiding bases and ambushing military patrols.

Boko Haram fighters loyal to long-time factional leader Abubakar Shekau — who are notorious for killing civilians — have also carried out attacks on the military.

The decade-long jihadist insurgency in northeast Nigeria has claimed more than 35,000 lives and left more than two million people displaced from their homes.

The conflict which spilled into neighboring Niger, Chad and Cameroon and has resulted in a severe humanitarian crisis in the region, leaving millions reliant on food aid in displacement camps.

AFP

Sunday Olatunji
Dele Fashomi, seasoned journalist and communication teacher, is a holder of Master of Arts degree in Communication and Language Arts from the University of Ibadan in 1992/93. Earlier, he had bagged a Bachelor degree from the same university in 1984, after which he proceeded to the Nigerian Institute of Journalism, Lagos, in 1990, for a postgraduate diploma in Journalism. He had done many courses in communication, including the EU-BBC Editing Course in 2002. Mr. Fashomi combines effectively the practice, research and teaching of communication. And to date, he has published two academic works in communication: Issues in Communication Technology and Policy (2010) and Economic and Social Issues in Advertising and PR (2013). He had his first break in the Nigerian media in Concord Newspapers in 1990 and today, he has over two and half decades experience earned in several newspapers. He has been part of many start-ups, such as The Republic (1987), The Comet (1999), The Anchor 2001 - 2002; Sun Newspapers (2003); Westerner newsmagazine (2005 - 2010) as Editor; National Life (2011) as Sunday Editor, and Newswatch Newspapers (2012- 2016) as Daily Editor. Dele Fashomi is now the Publisher/Editor-in-Chief of Newstide247.com newspaper online, which he started in July 2015. He is also into biography writing, with many books in his trail, some of which he wrote alone and one he co- authored with his mentor, Mr Dare Babarinsa, entitled:  Olabiyi Durojaiye - DARE TO BE DiFFERENT. He also guided and collaborated with Pa Olatunji Odusanya in writing his autobiography - AGAINST ALL ODDS. There are many other books in the works under his pen.
http://newstide247.com
Top